8.20.2010

Operation NICE.

We love this story! Just a little something inspiring for the day (:
One terribly hot day a couple weeks ago my husband and I had some errands to run, but we were also craving snow cones. As we drove to our favorite snow cone stand we saw a man welding at a local school building. He looked hot dressed in the leather covers and gloves that protected his skin. When we finally arrived at the snow cone stand my husband said, "Do you think we should get one for that guy?"



I wasn't surprised by his kindness, but I certainly didn't expect it in that instance. I agreed that it would be a nice gesture, but I left the decision up to him. I could see the wheels turning in his head and I knew he wanted to do something nice for a fellow hard-working man.

At the stand we each ordered a snow cone for ourselves and then Hubs gave me a funny, bashful look and asked, "What do you think?" I shrugged my shoulders and smiled. Then he ordered a third grape/coconut snow cone.

A few minutes later we were headed back toward the school building hoping the man would still be there working alone. And he was. I pulled the car into the parking lot just in front of the man's truck. I had no intention of doing this deed with Hubs because it had been his idea, and I knew it would make him feel good to do it alone. I watched as he approached the man, who immediately stopped welding when he saw my husband standing nearby. He pulled the protective helmet off his head to reveal a long, braided beard and a curious stare. Hubs said, "You looked like you could use a break," and held the snow cone out to the man. I could see the man was obviously surprised and overwhelmed with this gesture as he took the snow cone and thanked my husband.

As we drove away I watched the man in my rear view mirror. He pulled off his gloves, sat everything aside, took a seat on the stairs and began enjoying his frozen treat. I felt immediately satisfied and full of pride for my husband. I had never been so proud of someone as I was of Hubs that day. His kindness, which is not at all rare, took yet another leap and bound beyond what I ever would have expected. It was just another reminder that I am a very lucky wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment